NO Reproduction in Whole or in Part,
on ANY, and ALL of my Pages,
Including Text and Pictures,
May be made, without the express Written Permission
Web Editor, Doug Gent
The Delight Theatre
NE Corner of 5th and 12th Ave
(The First Theatre In Estevan)
Opened around 1910,
built and operated by Lin Lundquist,
later operated by Miss
She was the First Woman in Saskatchewan,
to have a licence to operate
a movie picture projector.
Theatre was Owned
by the Kinna Family at one time.
The theatre was sold and used as
Estevan's First Hospital
until it partially burnt down.
Clarendon Hotel was Next Door
to the east, and suffered heavy damage
when the theatre burnt down.
view where the old hospital stood
today Parkway Service
Victor Bernard "Bern" Turner
b- Apr 4, 1895 at Dunkirk Hill,
d- Sept 2, 1979 in Weyburn SK.
buried in Estevan City Cemetery
Bern was a Vimy Ridge Veteran.
Came to Canada in 1907 with his mother.
His father William Horace Turner,
immigrated in 1905.
He helped his father as
caretaker of the old Central School.
Married Helen Madigan of Macoun.
Resided in Swift Current where he was
the Theatre Projectionist.
In 1921 they returned to Estevan,
He was the projectionist at the Delight
then the Orpheum, until he retired in 1965.
During this time he operated Turner Electric
Buried at Estevan City Cemetery
Enlisted in WWI May 24, 1916 in
Single, Church of England
5ft, 11 in tall, Moving Picture Operator
Reg # 925847
father and mother were neighbours
of the Gus Gesell family on Valley St.
Father- William Horace Turner
b- 1869 Canterbury England
d- Nov 27, 1945 in Vancouver BC, age 72
Immigrated in 1905
Mother- Mary Anne Cairns
b- 1872 in England
married Apr-June 1893 in Canterbury reg dist
the 2nd Theatre in Estevan
1939 view of 4th St.
looking east from 12th Ave.
Aug 2009 side view
was opened Apr 6, 1914.
Located on the extreme left
in picture above,
at 1235 4th St.
Orpheum was built in 1913-14
by Mr. (Harry) Henry Emerson McKenzie
known as Mac.
b- Feb 1880 in Ontario Canada in 1911
d- Nov 4,1917 in Rochester, Minnesota.
Buried there, in Groveland Cemetery
Section 1, Lot 17, grave 4.
His grave says born in 1877.
so obviously the 1911 date is wrong.
He was a member of the Masons.
Shown as a contractor in 1911 census.
The Theatre was owned by himself,
and his partner,
Frederick (Fred) William Newcombe,
b- Jan 1879
in Maine USA, who came to Canada in 1910.
Shown as a brick man in 1911 census.
Fred became mayor of Estevan 1919-1920
The foundation was being installed.
It was built for moving pictures,
Seating accommodation= 100
It was built from solid Brick,
reason it's still there.
One of the
could have been
Mr. Herbert Edwin Brennen.
His family history says he was there
The dates might be a bit off,
but he no doubt was there.
the theatre was used on Sundays
for the Presbyterian church service.
as a kid going to the special
Saturday Christmas Matinee.
We would get a visit from Santa,
and a goody bag.
In the bag a real treat for me,
was the Japanese orange.
The Estevan Elks sponsored this event.
on the wall.
Look at Facebook today,
and the favourite building
with the younger generation,
next to the Court House,
is the old Orpheum Theatre.
Harry (Mac) McKenzie's widow,
Jennie June McKenzie (nee Mill),
b- July 6, 1889- d- July 23, 1980
operated the theatre for many years,
following the wishes of her husband,
from his death bed.
She is buried in the
Estevan City Cemetery.
Maher was another owner
exact dates unknown.
A. (Jack) McKenzie
b- ca 1886 in Saskatchewan
d- Tuesday, Nov 12, 1940, age 54, in
Funeral held at Whitewood SK United Church
and he was buried in family plot, at
He owned the Orpheum Theatre,
from 1924 to his death in 1940.
He entered the theatre business in Weyburn,
in 1910, and sold out in 1921.
He went into business for a short time in
First time a "Talking Picture" was shown
at the Orpheum Theatre, was in the Fall of
with Chester Morris starring in "ALIBI",
Jack McKenzie was the Manager
with Victor Bernard "Bern" Turner
and Philip Peters, the Projectionists.
Early in 1929 he installed sound equipment,
making it the 4th Theatre in SK.
and 52nd in Canada to have that equipment.
1930 the Orpheum was the
First Theatre in the Dominion
to receive the Bronze Plaque, for Sound
awarded by the trade magazine
sent to Theatre Owners only,
"Exhibitor's Herald World", of New York.
Jack Mcknezie had 2 sisters,
Mrs. Effie Shantz, and Mrs. James Reeves,
of Winnipeg, MB
and a brother, Donald Mckenzie, in Kisbey,
He also had an older brother William
who died before him.
a Nephew Clifford McKenzie from Minneapolis
attended his funeral.
After his father died,
Orpheum was owned by ECI Alumni,
and Jack's son,
"Duane" McKenzie, ca 1940-1961
b- Aug 6, 1912 in Weyburn SK
He died Monday afternoon, Oct 23, 1961
from a fatal heart attack,
while on a hunting trip with his son,
He died at the young age of 49.
With him was J. A. Hart, manager
of Quality Beverages Ltd., in Estevan,
which was also owned by Mr. McKenzie.
Duane was a Past President of the
Souris-Estevan Liberal Association.
He received his public education in the
Vancouver and Estevan,
before attending University of Manitoba,
where he graduated with a degree
in Electrical Engineering.
From 1936-1939 he was employed by
the Dominion Electric Power Co. in Estevan.
Later Sales Engineer for
the D. M. Fraser Co. Ltd. of Toronto
He bought the Orpheum theatre in 1940.
He started Quality Beverages in 1958.
Located corner of 6th St and 14th Ave.
50 x 96 ft. building.
Now the Work-Kin recycling shop.
It cost $90,000 to build.
Employed 8 people.
Handled 3 franchises.
Capacity was 80 cases of soft drinks per
It consumed 1,000 gallons of city
Member of the Public and Collegiate Boards
Chairman of St. Joseph's Hospital Advisory
until his death.
He donated his engineering time to many
community projects at no cost.
The arena and curling rink installation of
were 2 of his projects.
Past President of
the SK Motion Picture Exhibitors
the Motion Picture Industry Council of
Wife- Mary Louise, son Robert, and daughter
he was survived by his Mother- Lydia
b- Apr 1890 in USA, immigrated to Canada in
Duane had a brother- Dr. Francis McKenzie,
of Colburn MB
Funeral service Friday Oct 27, 1961 in
Dr. Francis McKenzie served at St Joseph's
in Estevan ca 1941-42.
owners after Mr. McKenzie,
the Frank Muss family ca 1962-1990,
Muss was from Weyburn area as well.
He started out as a grain buyer at Cedoux.
In 1947 he started his training as a
at Weyburn. 2 years later he purchased
the Theatre in Arcola, which he operated
when he moved to Estevan to take over the
Next owner- A. King ca 1990-?.
Then Frank's son,
Earl Muss- 1996
My Mother during the early 60's, was a
at the theatre, and she worked for Mr. Duane McKenzie.
Famous Players theatre,
with Dolby sound.
Orpheum Theatre Ad
Operating in the
summer, since 1990
Located down at the
on the North side of the river,
adjacent to Woodlawn Regional Park.
Originally located in a large tent
to the NW of the
Old Estevan Swimming Pool.
A new building now houses this troupe.
Known for their live
First performance- Volstead Blues.
(another possible name-
opened ca1955, closed ca1990
Located Just east of the
Between the train tracks,
adjacent, to the West,
and Highway 39, (Service Road),
adjacent, to the north,
on the East end of the city.
Sitting in your cars you faced west.
That way the setting sun would not
shine on the screen.
Show time was at Dusk.
2 speakers on on one metal post.
One car on each side.
Speakers were on coiled cords,
in metal boxes with a hook on the back
which would then hang on the inside
of the drivers window.
On the front a volume control.
No Stereo or Dolby sound then.
It was owned by Dale
and G. Giem, ca 1955,
then Dale Abbott ca 1965,
and Don Outhwaite ca 1980.
Car capacity from
depending on what book you read.
The drive-ins were
known for their corny
go to the
Mosquitos, and driving
with the speaker still on the window,
were common occurances.